Author Roy's Corner
March 28, 2024, 07:13:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

chat thread

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: chat thread  (Read 584 times)
Author Roy
Administrator

Legendary Status: 0

The dark angel returns...

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2012, 02:53:01 am »

Okay, I was thinking that the society of each faction would obviously affect the military of each one.

I was thinking, in the case of the mages, being that they're some sort of traditional based group, and they're some kind of monarchy/diarchy/oligarchy or some such (we're undecided IIRC) they may have aristocrats and everything that comes with that; officers are more likely to be aristocrats than commoners. In the case of the skypunk people, money is probably the key focus, so probably something similar with them. In the case of the psions, however, they're supposedly some kind of super democratic thing, and thanks to their telepathic abilities, the very function of their army would just be totally different from a traditional one that we know, given that orders can be relayed from generals to all soldiers immediately, and intel can be shared instantly, they are likely to be a very highly organized fighting force with a rank system different from one we know (if they have one in the first place). My own thoughts: Given that they're more equality types, it could be that they see the war as a collective, cooperative effort between all of them as individuals, and rather than orders, they simply try to assist each other and organize plans together rather than some kind of subordinate/superior system.

Now, non-combatant characters can also be in play, and there will probably be some NPCish characters - some personal and some shared. I think it might be fun to come up with say, families and friends of our characters in a little bit of depth, to give the story some real meat, and of course having multiple characters either from the start or as backups is possible. (some of us may want to make characters for each faction, for instance, or characters in the same faction who are either unrelated or in a different kind of position (political vs. military, or maybe even civilian)

I think we might want to go on an image search to get some ideas for places, like that thread Buffy linked to before, we've got something of a concrete setting, it just needs to be fine-tuned and given more in-depth detail, such as the names of places, climates, history, lore, what tools we can expect to see in each society, magical items

Report Spam   Logged

[4/7/2013 6:01:19 PM] DMRoy: NEGATIVE FOUR TO ATTACK ROLLS
[4/7/2013 6:01:22 PM] DMRoy: THAT'S YOUR BENEFIT
[4/7/2013 6:01:50 PM] Luke Fon Fabre: That, uh, doesn't sound very... beneficial to me...
[4/7/2013 6:01:58 PM] DMRoy: NEGATIVE EIGHT TO ATTACK ROLLS
[4/7/2013 6:02:17 PM] DMRoy: I BET THAT NEGATIVE FOUR SOUNDS A LOT BETTER NOW
[4/7/2013 6:02:19 PM] DMRoy: DON'T IT
[4/7/2013 6:02:26 PM] Super High-School Level Lesbian: Super High-School Level Lesbian snorts
[4/7/2013 6:02:46 PM | Edited 6:02:47 PM] Luke Fon Fabre: Yes, can I go back to that?
[4/7/2013 6:03:50 PM] Super High-School Level Lesbian: NO
[4/7/2013 6:03:52 PM] DMRoy: NO

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Xero
Captain of the Intergalactic House of Pancakes!
Global Moderator

Why's everything in circles? Atoms, Planets. Yeah.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 03:01:37 am »

My own thoughts: Given that they're more equality types, it could be that they see the war as a collective, cooperative effort between all of them as individuals, and rather than orders, they simply try to assist each other and organize plans together rather than some kind of subordinate/superior system.

I like this line of thinking, however a ranking system may exist solely based on the "skill"/"strength" of a persons psionic abilities. Like, someone who can simply pick up surface thoughts would be not as powerful as a person who could search an entire room of people for a specific piece of information.

For a more in depth thing regarding how they might fight though, I imagine the mage's would have Golems and other magical creatures/summons/creations as their "heavy units" while mages slinging spells would be their basic infantry. The steampunks probably use all sorts of weird technology and weapons, a lot of it probably air-oriented. The Psionics, I would think, would have their own psychic-tech and just plain psychic powers, so probably a lot of telekinetic stuff going on - A thing they might focus on is using their powers to be amazing at long range, having scouts and such relay precise information telepathically to a submerged weapon out in the ocean, or to help guide long-ranged weaponry towards a target.
Report Spam   Logged

I'm on your side you fucking idiots! How many of you do I have to kill before you understand that?
Author Roy
Administrator

The dark angel returns...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 06:00:38 pm »

Things we still need:
Names for the factions
Other races for each faction
Names of places and important people
Culture/Society/Lifestyle flavor and info (How does school function if there is one, what is a family unit like, etc.)
Some region descriptions/images for each place
Descriptions of Psionic crystal TechnoLOLogy

Suggestions welcome demanded! I'll start dropping some ideas as soon as I get em.

http://archive.uboachan.net/ot/res/2145.xhtml has some nice fantasy worldy type images on display incase you need inspiration.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:13:12 pm by Author Roy » Report Spam   Logged

[4/7/2013 6:01:19 PM] DMRoy: NEGATIVE FOUR TO ATTACK ROLLS
[4/7/2013 6:01:22 PM] DMRoy: THAT'S YOUR BENEFIT
[4/7/2013 6:01:50 PM] Luke Fon Fabre: That, uh, doesn't sound very... beneficial to me...
[4/7/2013 6:01:58 PM] DMRoy: NEGATIVE EIGHT TO ATTACK ROLLS
[4/7/2013 6:02:17 PM] DMRoy: I BET THAT NEGATIVE FOUR SOUNDS A LOT BETTER NOW
[4/7/2013 6:02:19 PM] DMRoy: DON'T IT
[4/7/2013 6:02:26 PM] Super High-School Level Lesbian: Super High-School Level Lesbian snorts
[4/7/2013 6:02:46 PM | Edited 6:02:47 PM] Luke Fon Fabre: Yes, can I go back to that?
[4/7/2013 6:03:50 PM] Super High-School Level Lesbian: NO
[4/7/2013 6:03:52 PM] DMRoy: NO

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum